Our Rainbow House Inc. is a registered charity in both Australia and Zambia, with headquarters in Emerald, Queensland, Australia.
Our focus is on supporting a community on the outskirts of Lusaka, Zambia, in the care of their orphaned and vulnerable children.
Since the charity was established in 2009, our dedicated team and supporters have worked closely with the village community to open a primary school for 50 of the neediest children.
The children are selected by consulting with local social workers and caregivers.
Our School opened it’s doors on 7th May 2012 and now employs 4 local teachers, a teacher aide, 2 cooks, 3 guards and a Project Supervisor.
Teaching is based on the Zambian National Curriculum for Students aged 4-15yrs.
Thanks to generous donors we are pleased to also run:
- Adult literacy classes for the guardians of our students
- A music program for our students
- A Girls Friendly Society group for both male and female students, (affiliated with the Anglican Church)
- A “Friday Fruit” program that allows each student and staff member to enjoy fresh fruit
- A “Holiday Mealie-meal” program that provides each family with a 50kg bag of mealie-meal during school holidays.
To read more of our story, including how Director Alison Ray founded the Project, read Our Journey.
Visit our Facebook page for daily news and events.